Thursday, March 21, 2013

Eating the Easter Bunny ~ Hasenpfeffer

I remember the first time my family ate the Easter bunny for Easter dinner.  My Aunt Debbie wanted to make rabbit, but didn't want to be the only one to eat it.  I said I'd eat some.  Why not?  This was a long time before I raised rabbits, but my Dad hunted when I was little, and I remember my Great Uncle Bob used to raise rabbits.  Debbie made Hasenpfeffer.  Yummy sweet and sour goodness served over bunny shaped pasta. It was delicious!  

Years later, my Uncle taught me how to butcher my first rabbit.  I took it home and began my Hasenpfeffer preparations.  That rabbit's name was Pawless, because he only had 3 feet.  Pawless was yummy!

This Hasenpfeffer recipe is very basic.  There are some fancier versions online, and they look amazing.  I'll have to try one of those some other time.  This year though, I'm returning to the roots of my tradition of eating the Easter bunny.  

Start this 2 days before you want to eat.

Steeping liquid: 
1 onion, sliced
2 C vinegar
2 C water
1/2 - 1 C sugar
2 T mixed pickling spices, in spice bag
2 tsp lemon juice 

Simmer everything except the rabbit for 5 minutes in a heavy bottomed saucepan.  Pour steeping liquid over rabbit, soak in the refrigerator for 2 days.  Remove spice bag.  Cook rabbit in crockpot or stockpot until rabbit is tender and falling off the bones.  Serve over rice, pasta or spaghetti squash.

What's your favorite way to prepare rabbit?

No comments:

Post a Comment